Saturday, 21 July 2007

Illustration Friday - Poem (1)


High Flight (An Airman's Ecstacy)

For I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I’ve climbed and joined the tumbled mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of; wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sun-lit silence. Hovering there

I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air;

Up, up the long delirious burning blue

I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

Where never lark nor even eagle flew;

And while, with silent lifting mind I’ve trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee ((1922- 1941)

3 comments:

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Gorgeous, both the illo and the poem. After reading the poem I feel almost like I was an "airman" myself!

cjhardy said...

Very touching and beautifully done. A lovely professional piece.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem and the subject matter. Very nice treatment.